Chocolate Perfection

Good Chocolate

An irresistible site for the irresistible food of the gods. Think of this as their gospel: What's good about chocolate? What (if anything) is bad? What are the rewards and punishments? What are the commandments? (No 'thou shalt not eat' here!) Expect lore, recipes, sources, health applications, nutritional facts, choices, and a great deal of affection.

Thursday, November 18, 2004

Chocolate as a weight-loss aid?

"Chocolate may be used by some as a form of self-medication for dietary deficiencies (eg, magnesium) or to balance low levels of neurotransmitters involved in the regulation of mood, food intake, and compulsive behaviors (eg, serotonin and dopamine)."

This quote is from the abstract of a paper by K Bruinsma and DL Teran from the Arizona Prevention Center in 1999.

In other words, chocolate might help us feel good just as serious snacking can.

Here's the connection between chocolate and dieting: if chocolate can 'fix' low levels of neurotransmitters as food can, then perhaps a small piece of chocolate during times when food seems irresistible might satisfy the craving, and with fewer calories.

At least I think it's worth the experiment!

At least according to my experience -- which is considerable -- the right chocolate can be intensely satisfying, more so than, say, a single chip or cookie. So maybe this (crazy) idea isn't so crazy after all.

One nutrition company seems to agree with me. They have a product that is intensely chocolate-y and supposed to take away cravings for chocolate as well as other sweets. I tried it and it actually worked for me! I ate a couple of the bites every afternoon when I was feeling droopy. I started to fall in love with them, and was afraid I was getting addicted.

And then all at once I didn't want them or chocolate any more! (Not, of course, that there's really anything wrong with chocolate....).

Here's where you can get some if you want to try them. I wouldn't expect miracles the first day as far as cravings go, but I did experience the same satisfaction as I would have with a whole chocolate bar, and each bite has only a few calories. Anyway, check out this link: http://www.shaklee.net/feelinggood/product/20385.

While I was there picking up the link, I found they have it on sale right now for 20% off. So it's a good time to check it out. As you will see, it's part of their weight management program, which is pretty surprising: it doesn't taste like those horrible brown cubes that used to pass for chocolate diet snacks.

And by the way, I just read that the bites also have half the DV of calcium. That's handy.

OK, check it out: http://www.shaklee.net/feelinggood/product/20385. And if you try them, write a review here at Good Chocolate. I'd like to know what you thought. PL


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home